Monday, November 19, 2012

Laundry detergents and skin irritations

Ever thought that the skin irritations you are having could be because of your laundry detergent or dryer sheets? Well, I never did, not until we took our daughter to a dermatologist who told us to stop using regular laundry detergents, fabric softeners and dryer sheets for her clothes as they might be a cause of her eczema flare-ups. She recommended using gentle, fragrance-free detergents that are mild enough for her sensitive skin.

I had always thought that toxins can enter our bodies through the use of personal care products but never realized that laundry detergents and fabric softeners also contain many different chemicals that can not only affect our health but also the environment. Our skin may absorb these toxins when moisture from the body attaches to chemicals which are then absorbed through the bloodstream. This can cause numerous health problems like nervous system disorders, liver toxicity and even cancer!

Another disturbing fact which I very recently found was the use of animal fat in fabric softeners! This nauseating piece of news was broken to me by a worker at our local health food store. Poor lady saw my reaction and suggested using dryer balls as an alternative to dryer sheets. Fabric softeners never entered my home again after that day :) 

Came across some good ideas as to what I can replace my dryer sheets with here: http://mindfulmomma.typepad.com/mindful_momma/2011/09/easy-dryer-sheet-alternatives.html

For more information about chemicals used in laundry detergents and fabric softeners:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/12/21/are-you-slowly-killing-your-family-with-hidden-dioxane-in-your-laundry-detergent.aspx

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-12/st_whatsinside

I'm planning to make my own detergent one day using this formula (my husband thinks I'm insane :D)
http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/make-your-own-laundry-soap.htm

                            

     I use this detergent in the meanwhile, it's gentle enough for my 4 month old baby as well.             
                     

Haven't used them yet but looking forward to buying wool dryer balls   

                                                                             Image taken from:
http://www.davidsuzuki.org/blogs/queen-of-green/2012/09/wool-dryer-balls-shrink-drying-time/







1 comment:

  1. I wish more people would read this and I have found a similar website, check this once Natural alternative to dryer sheets visit the site to know more.

    ReplyDelete